Essential Information You Need to Know About Back Pain
Many people today have experienced back pain at some point in their life. Back pain is one of the causes for many white-collar individuals missing work on occasions. You can experience pain in the back that can make you very uncomfortable. It is always recommended to seek a specialist’s advice regarding treatment if the pain is severe and is not responding to medication. If you experience back pain in Westfield, visit Genesis Orthopaedic and Spine to discuss your treatment options. You will receive guided treatment options from their professional team.
Table of Contents
What are some of the causes of the condition?
Several reasons can cause you to have back pain. They vary depending on the person. Your back has complex ligaments, tendons, muscles, discs, and bones that need to work together to enable functionality. If any of these components have a problem, then it can lead to back pain. Here are some of the causes of back pain:
- Strain – if you strain your back, it can cause muscle or ligament strain or tension resulting in back pain.
- Structural problem – if you develop some structural problems such as ruptured disks, arthritis, sciatica, bulging disks, these problems can cause you to experience back pain.
- Movement and posture – your posture while doing physical activities or work can cause you to have back pain if not done correctly.
You may also experience back pain from pelvic inflammatory disease, kidney infection. or infection of the spine. Some of these causes are attributed to lifestyle habits and can be prevented if you adopt corrective measures.
Ways Your Doctor Might Use to Diagnose You
On some occasions, a doctor will diagnose your back pain simply by asking you to state the symptoms. On other occasions, the doctor may have to carry a physical examination to diagnose your problem. Some of the ways your doctor might use to diagnose may include:
- X-rays – used to detect any misalignment or broken bone.
- Imaging scan – used to detect an injury or underlying cause of back pain
- Bone Scans – your doctor will use this procedure to detect bone tumors or compression caused by osteoporosis.
- MR or CT scans – usually used to reveal herniated disks, nerves, ligaments, muscles, bones, and blood vessels
- Electromyography (EMG) – your doctor usually uses this procedure to measure electrical impulses emitted by the nerves to confirm nerve compressions.
These methods are reliable as they will enable your doctor to be able to administer the necessary treatment.
What Are Some of the Medical Treatments for Back Pain?
Your doctor may suggest home remedies such as applying a hot compress or an ice pack to relieve pain. But in the case that the home remedies do not work, the methods mentioned below can be applied.
- Cortisone injections
- Cognitive behavior therapy
- Physical therapy
All of these methods can relieve your back pain. However, you are also encouraged on some occasions to exercise to strengthen the back muscles.
Contact a Back Pain Specialist Today
Do not continue suffering in silence. You are not alone. Back pain affects most of the population, especially the people who have to work from morning while sitting on their desk till the evening. This condition is treatable and requires a collective effort from an individual and a specialist to guide the recovery process. If you are experiencing any back pain and reside in Westfield, visit Genesis Orthopaedic and Spine. Call them today to schedule an appointment.